Keeping Your Eyes Healthy
At 20/20 Image Eye Centers, we want you to enjoy healthy eyes and clear vision for a lifetime. Part of our service is helping you to help yourself by providing tips and advice on keeping your eyes safe and strong. Here are six ways you can help maintain good eye health.
- Get an Eye Exam – You should have an eye doctor here at 20/20 Image Eye Centers conduct a thorough eye exam at least once every year. Your vision can gradually deteriorate – often too slowly to notice. Other eye problems may not develop symptoms until it is too late to treat them. An eye exam can identify problems early and give us a chance to treat them.
- Know Your Family Medical History – Many eye conditions are hereditary. Let your eye doctor know if there is a history of vision problems in your family so that he or she can more carefully monitor the health of your eyes.
- Protect Your Eyes – Safety glasses, sports goggles and eye guards are all designed to help prevent serious eye injuries. Use them.
- Wear Sunglasses – Ultraviolet (UV) rays from the sun can damage your eyes and result in cataracts, macular degeneration and astigmatism. We recommend wearing sunglasses that block at least 99 percent of both UVA and UVB radiation.
- Limit Screen Time – Spending too much time in front of a computer screen or staring at a smart phone can cause eye strain, dry eye and other conditions that can damage your vision. Use digital lenses to help you focus more easily, and take regular breaks to look off into the distance and rest your eyes.
- Lead a Healthy Life – Making good choices for your overall health will also help your eyesight. Watch your weight, as obesity raises the risk of diabetes, which can affect your eyes. Don’t smoke, as smoking has been linked to macular degeneration, cataract and optic nerve damage. Manage chronic diseases, such as hypertension, diabetes and multiple sclerosis, which can also damage your vision. Make sure your diet includes eye-friendly foods like dark, leafy greens and foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
Call Now to Schedule an Eye Exam
Start your journey to healthier eyes by calling to schedule an eye exam at one of our 20/20 Image Eye Centers offices in Chandler, Fountain Hills, Glendale, Scottsdale or Tempe. We’re here to help you keep your life in focus!